City Building (Glasgow) LLP
|Project:||Refurbishment Works to 898 Winget Properties, Carntyne, Glasgow|
|Value:||£5million (Circa £1million per annum)|
|Term:||2010 - 2014|
A.C. Whyte & Co. was awarded the contract to provide external and internal refurbishment works to 898 properties in Carntyne, Glasgow, as part of a much larger regeneration project. The blocks were built in the late 1920s and early 1930s using the Winget pier and panel construction system and comprise 4-in-a block and semi -detached homes. Over the years they have encountered a number of structural problems leading to the homes being classified as defective under part 14 of the Housing (Scotland) Act 1987. As a result, a technical solution was identified to save the properties, incorporating structural strengthening and refurbishment works.
- Remedial block work repairs.
- New aluminium powdercoated overcills fitted to suit insulated render system.
- Walls prepared for an external wall insulation system incorporating a 60mm rigid phenolic insulation board, reinforcing alkali resistant fibre glass mesh coat and finished with a dashing render complete with dry dash aggregate.
- Silicone impregnated render applied to existing brick underbuildings.
- Mastic pointing applied to all window and door reveals.
- New GRP canopies fitted.
- All cast iron rainwater, soil and waste pipes removed from the properties and replaced in UPVC.
- All new pipework tested and commissioned for water tightness and performance.
- Overflow pipes, pressure relief valves and gas flues extended on all blocks.
- Plasterwork coving work and ames taping to internal walls and ceilings.
System: Alumasc Swisslab External Wall Insulation System