Cadder Housing Association
|Project:||External Upgrade to 25no 4 Storey Tenemental Blocks, Lambhill, Glasgow|
|Term:||January 2009 - March 2010|
Working with Cadder Housing Association, A.C. Whyte & Co. was employed as Main Contractor for the refurbishment of some 200 flats, contained within 25 four-storey tenemental blocks. The area of Cadder was originally developed to provide low cost local authority housing. The properties themselves were reaching their life expectancy and required remedial works to comply with the Scottish Housing Quality Standards. The construction of the blocks is Wimpey No-Fines concrete block, which is typical of the area and these were mass produced during the post-second world war era. The regeneration works carried out brought the dwellings up to a modern standard of living. Through time the tenants will benefit from improved health conditions and a reduction in fuel bills.
Good planning of project prior to start on site and were able to recommend savings on the project and pass them on to the Client.
Kevin McAllan, Cadder Housing Association
- Remedial block work repairs.
- Walls prepared for an external wall insulation system which comprised 60mm rigid polyisocyanurate foam insulation board, reinforcing alkali resistant fibre glass mesh coat and finished with a dashing render complete with dry dash aggregate.
- Existing window units replaced with new UPVC windows complete with energy saving glass and trickle ventilation.
- Draught proofing with insulating foam.
- Existing roofline replaced with new white UPVC fascia and soffit.
- Existing open air balconies enclosed by installing curtain walling system manufactured by Windoor with a sliding window creating a habitable living space.
- Integrated reception system to all properties within the blocks.
- Plumber work including lead work and soil replacement pipework.
- Painter work.
- Mastic pointing work.
- A.C.Whyte & Co. was able to create an aesthetically pleasing finish to the Architects design and ultimately Client approval.
- The metallic grey exterior finish of the Windoor screens produced a modern appearance.
- The external insulation provides a greater thermal resistance and eliminates any condensation risks.
- Reduced carbon emissions and energy costs.
- Reduced u-values and energy loss.
- The system can be applied to new build and refurbishment works.
EWI System: Alumasc Swisslab External Wall Insulation System